- Pakistan International Airways flight crashes in north
- Victims of Colombia crash take final flights home to Brazil
- Bolivia suspends airline as Colombian crash probe points to lack of fuel
- Plane crashes in Colombia with 81 on board, including Brazilian footballers
- India rail crash toll hits 146, survivor search called off
The location of Flight MH370 has become one of the world's greatest aviation mysteries since the plane, a Boeing 777, disappeared in 2014 en route to Beijing from the Malaysian capital of Kuala Lumpur with 239 people on board.
"I don't rule out a future underwater search by any stretch," Australian Transport Minister Darren Chester told reporters in Melbourne, a day after Australia, Malaysia and China officially called off the search in the southern Indian Ocean.
| The Malaysian airline MH370 disappeared in March 2014 with 239 people on board. (Source: Reuters) |
The search cost around A$200 million ($150 million), mostly paid by Malaysia, and has already been extended twice. But the three countries involved have been reluctant to keep looking without new evidence about the plane's final resting place.
A recommendation from investigators last month to look to the north of the 120,000 sq km (46,000 sq mile) area that has been the focus of search efforts was rejected by Australia and Malaysia as too imprecise.
Chester said cost had not been the determining factor to halt the search, but he said restarting it would require "credible new information which leads to a specific location".
Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull on Wednesday expressed "deep regret" that the plane had not been found, but reaffirmed the agreement between Malaysia, Australia and China to stop looking.
Boeing (BA.N) did not immediately respond to requests for comment.