Taliban bomber kills four Americans at NATO base in Afghanistan

A Taliban suicide bomber dressed as a laborer blew himself up at the NATO air base at Bagram north of the Afghan capital Kabul on November 12 killing four Americans and wounding at least 17 people in one of the bloodiest attacks against US forces since Barack Obama took office.

Two US military service members and two US contractors were killed, and 16 other US service members were wounded, along with a Polish soldier who was part of the NATO mission, US Defense Secretary Ash Carter said in a statement.

"For those who carried out this attack, my message is simple. We will not be deterred in our mission to protect our homeland and help Afghanistan secure its own future," Carter said.

Afghan National Army soldiers keep watch outside the Bagram Airfield entrance gate, after an explosion at the NATO air base. (Photo: Reuters)
Afghan National Army soldiers keep watch outside the Bagram Airfield entrance gate, after an explosion at the NATO air base. (Photo: Reuters)

It was the deadliest attack on US soldiers in the country since a suicide bomber on a motorcycle killed six American troops on patrol near Bagram in December 2015.

Carter said the Pentagon will investigate November 12 attack to determine what steps could be taken to improve protection for the base.

The attack, which was claimed by the Taliban, underlines the foreign policy challenge that will face US President-elect Donald Trump when he takes office in January.

President Barack Obama had originally hoped to have all US forces out of the country by the end of his term, but was forced to abandon that goal as Afghan forces struggled to contain the Taliban insurgency.

Under current plans, 8,400 US troops will remain as part of the Resolute Support operation and a separate US counter terrorism mission after Obama decided to slow down a planned reduction of the force, leaving it to his successor to decide future strategy.

Waheed Sediqqi, spokesman for the Parwan provincial governor, said the bomber managed to enter the heavily protected site, the largest US base in Afghanistan, and was standing in a line with Afghan laborers when he detonated a suicide vest.

The NATO-led Resolute Support mission response teams at the airfield were treating the wounded and investigating the incident.

    It follows a suicide attack on the German consulate in the northern city of Mazar-i-Sharif late on November 10 night that killed four people and wounded more than 100 others. That attack was retaliation for air strikes near the northern city of Kunduz last week which killed more than 30 civilians.

    The Taliban's spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, said November 12 attack, which he said had been planned for four months, had caused heavy casualties, killing 23 Americans and wounding 44. The movement often exaggerates the number of casualties caused by its operations.

    Reuters

    Other News

    Vietnamese community in Venezuela backs rescue team on humanitarian mission

    Vietnamese community in Venezuela backs rescue team on humanitarian mission

    All members of the Vietnamese rescue team in Venezuela have maintained strict discipline, a strong sense of responsibility and unwavering focus when carrying out search, rescue and disaster recovery tasks, with the determination to successfully fulfil the international humanitarian mission entrusted by the Party, State and military.

    Key issues ex high agenda at the ASEAN Future Forum 2026

    Key issues ex high agenda at the ASEAN Future Forum 2026

    PSNews - Nearly six decades after its founding, ASEAN is entering a new phase of transformation. Geopolitical turbulence, intensifying competition among major powers, non-traditional security challenges, and rapid technological change are raising fundamental questions about the region’s future trajectory. In this context, the ASEAN Future Forum (AFF) 2026 is more than a platform for regional countries to discuss current issues; it is designed to identify strategic pathways for ASEAN in the years ahead.

    Malaysia bans social media accounts for children under 16

    Malaysia bans social media accounts for children under 16

    Under the new rules, social media platforms are required to implement age-verification systems and prevent users under 16 from creating accounts. The regulations apply to platforms with at least eight million users in Malaysia, including Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and YouTube.

    Cambodia ranked world's top country for natural environment in 2026

    Cambodia ranked world's top country for natural environment in 2026

    Cambodia currently manages 73 protected natural areas covering more than seven million hectares, equivalent to about 41% of the country’s total land area. These protected areas play a vital role in forest conservation, wildlife habitat protection and biodiversity preservation through stricter law enforcement and conservation measures.

    ASEAN chief spotlights Vietnam’s role in shaping bloc’s future

    ASEAN chief spotlights Vietnam’s role in shaping bloc’s future

    Vietnam is expected to maintain active contributions across ASEAN’s three pillars - the political-security community, the economic community, and the socio-cultural community; while further enhancing regional connectivity through infrastructure projects and stronger economic linkages.

    Vietnam supports UNESCO's people-centred approach, multilateral cooperation: official

    Vietnam supports UNESCO's people-centred approach, multilateral cooperation: official

    Van affirmed Vietnam’s support for the UNESCO80 reform roadmap, focusing on the organisation’s core mandate, priority areas, interdisciplinary approach, and the special status of the Vietnam National Commission for UNESCO, and UNESCO representative offices, alongside efforts to diversify resources and strengthen global partnerships to enhance the organisation’s effectiveness.

    Regional media highlight significant step in Vietnam’s leadership structure

    Regional media highlight significant step in Vietnam’s leadership structure

    Under General Secretary and President Lam’s leadership, Vietnam is expected to maintain a balanced foreign policy, strengthen its regional standing and accelerate economic development, thereby improving living standards and creating new opportunities for international investors, according to the India-based platform Devdiscourse.

    Laos identifies 10 key tasks to build independent, self-reliant economy

    Laos identifies 10 key tasks to build independent, self-reliant economy

    Laos will step up agricultural production to ensure food security, meet domestic demand and expand exports; encourage the development of agro-processing industries, including those related to rubber, aquatic products, cassava and sugarcane, as well as fertiliser and animal feed production, in order to increase added value and create jobs in rural areas.