Nice truck attack: French police arrest eight more suspects

France - Detained men have links to Bastille Day attacker Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel, according to Paris prosecutor’s office.

French authorities have made eight new arrests in connection with the Bastille Day truck attack in Nice that left 86 people dead, according to the Paris prosecutor’s office.

The suspects detained on Monday were French and Tunisian, the office said, and had links to the attacker, Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel, who ploughed a 19-tonne truck down the Promenade des Anglais and into a crowd that had gathered for a 14 July firework display.

All eight men were arrested in the south-eastern Alpes-Maritimes region, which includes Nice.

At least five people already face preliminary terrorism charges in the attack, and are accused of helping Lahouaiej-Bouhlel obtain a pistol and providing other support. It was not immediately clear what the men arrested this week are suspected of.

The bullet-riddled lorry which Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel drove into a crowd in Nice on 14 July. Photograph: AP
The bullet-riddled lorry which Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel drove into a crowd in Nice on 14 July. Photograph: AP

Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attack. French authorities say Lahouaiej-Bouhlel, a Tunisian with French residency, was inspired by the extremist group’s propaganda, but they say no evidence has been found that Isis orchestrated the attack.

France remains under a state of emergency after the Nice killings and Isis attacks on Paris last year. The interior minister, Bernard Cazeneuve, said on Tuesday that the threat to France was higher than ever. He said about 300 people had been arrested in investigations into extremist networks so far this year, according to his office.

Also on Tuesday, authorities detained two boys, 14 and 17, in an investigation into a hoax hostage alert at a Paris church, the prosecutor’s office said. The false alarm on Saturday prompted a big police deployment and activation of an app-based terrorism alert system. A 16-year-old detained on Monday remains in custody.

The government is seeking financial compensation from the perpetrators for wasting security services’ time and money, and scaring the public unnecessarily

The Guardian

Other News

Vietnam supports UNESCO's people-centred approach, multilateral cooperation: official

Vietnam supports UNESCO's people-centred approach, multilateral cooperation: official

Van affirmed Vietnam’s support for the UNESCO80 reform roadmap, focusing on the organisation’s core mandate, priority areas, interdisciplinary approach, and the special status of the Vietnam National Commission for UNESCO, and UNESCO representative offices, alongside efforts to diversify resources and strengthen global partnerships to enhance the organisation’s effectiveness.

Regional media highlight significant step in Vietnam’s leadership structure

Regional media highlight significant step in Vietnam’s leadership structure

Under General Secretary and President Lam’s leadership, Vietnam is expected to maintain a balanced foreign policy, strengthen its regional standing and accelerate economic development, thereby improving living standards and creating new opportunities for international investors, according to the India-based platform Devdiscourse.

Laos identifies 10 key tasks to build independent, self-reliant economy

Laos identifies 10 key tasks to build independent, self-reliant economy

Laos will step up agricultural production to ensure food security, meet domestic demand and expand exports; encourage the development of agro-processing industries, including those related to rubber, aquatic products, cassava and sugarcane, as well as fertiliser and animal feed production, in order to increase added value and create jobs in rural areas.

Malaysia steps up cyber security resilience

Malaysia steps up cyber security resilience

To ensure accountability, Malaysia plans to finalise the Cybercrime Bill this year which addresses both cyber-dependent and cyber-enabled offences, introducing stricter penalties and prison terms to enhance deterrence.

US public opinion positive about PM Pham Minh Chinh’s visit

US public opinion positive about PM Pham Minh Chinh’s visit

Public opinion in the US is generally positive about Vietnamese Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh’s trip to the US from September 17-23 to attend the 78th session of the United Nations General Assembly, which took place immediately after the upgrading of the Vietnam - US relations to a comprehensive strategic partnership on the occasion of US President Joe Biden’s official visit to Vietnam.