Foreign embassies pledge support for Vietnam to surmount typhoon aftermath

The Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD) held an event in Hanoi on September 18 to receive emergency aid from other countries for victims of super Typhoon Yagi.

Foreign embassies pledge support for Vietnam to surmount typhoon aftermath -0
Relief from the Australian Embassy is presented to typhoon-hit residents in Hong Ha ward of Yen Bai city, Yen Bai province, on September 13. (Photo: VNA)

The Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD) held an event in Hanoi on September 18 to receive emergency aid from other countries for victims of super Typhoon Yagi.

Briefing participants on the serious impacts of the storm and its accompanying downpour and flooding, MARD Deputy Minister Nguyen Hoang Hiep thanked disaster risk reduction partners, international organisations, and foreign embassies for their assistance, both in cash and in kind, to the seriously affected localities.

He noted the Vietnamese Government has been exerting efforts to address the natural disasters’ aftermath. The top-level leaders of Vietnam, as well as officials of ministries, sectors, and localities have visited the areas hit by Yagi, flooding, and landslides to give on-site directions, encouragement, and relief to local residents.

So far, the country has received about 15 million USD and 200 tonnes of essentials from international organisations and embassies. The aid has been being delivered to localities, he said.

The Deputy Minister added Vietnam hopes for continued assistance so that the affected localities can soon recover production and stabilise people’s life.

UN Resident Coordinator in Vietnam Pauline Tamesis said the UN office has sent delegations to assess the disasters’ impacts on clean water supply, sanitation, education, agriculture, and child protection in some localities. They will keep coordinating with disaster risk reduction partners and related agencies of Vietnam to mobilise resources for those areas, helping to quickly address consequences.

Indian Ambassador Sandeep Arya said the Indian Government will work with Vietnam to enhance infrastructure’s resilience to natural disasters.

At the event, representatives to some embassies presented tokens of relief for residents in typhoon-hit areas, including 1.3 million USD from the UK Embassy, 1 million USD worth of relief from the Indian Embassy, 1 million USD from the US Embassy, 620,000 USD from the New Zealand Embassy, 2 million USD from the Australian Embassy, and 2 million USD from the Republic of Korean Embassy.

The embassies also pledged to continue supporting Vietnam’s efforts in settling disaster consequences.

Meanwhile, the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) announced on September 18 that the Embassy of Ireland will give funding of 250,000 EUR (278,000 USD) through UNICEF to provide clean water, sanitation, and hygiene support to vulnerable children and families affected by Typhoon Yagi in northern Vietnam.

The assistance will include water tanks, water filters, soap, hand sanitisers, and water purification tablets.

Irish Ambassador Deirdre Ni Fhalluin said that her country is committed to supporting Vietnam during this time of great need. Its contribution of 250,000 EUR reflects its solidarity with the people of Vietnam and its commitment to addressing the most urgent needs of those affected.

The same day, SK Group of the Republic of Korea said it will donate 300,000 USD to help northern localities of Vietnam to settle the typhoon’s consequences. The funding will be sent to the Vietnam Fatherland Front Central Committee this month for purchasing relief supplies.

Typhoon Yagi, the third to appear in the East Sea this year, is the most powerful there in 30 years and in the Vietnamese mainland in 70 years. Hitting the northern part of the country on September 7, it took a heavy toll on all the 26 localities across the area, including Thanh Hoa province in the north-central region. Widespread and prolonged downpour accompanying the storm caused severe flooding and landslides in many localities.

As of September 17, 329 people died or went missing while about 1,930 others were injured. Some 234,700 houses, 1,500 schools, and many infrastructure facilities were pulled down or damaged. Meanwhile, 3,722 aquaculture cages were ruined, nearly 3 million livestock and poultry killed, and almost 310,000 trees uprooted, preliminary statistics show.

Property losses are estimated at more than 50 trillion VND (2 billion USD).

VNA

Other News

Vietnam steps up implementation of ethnic affairs strategy through 2030

Vietnam steps up implementation of ethnic affairs strategy through 2030

To accelerate the implementation of the the Ethnic Affairs Strategy by 2030, with a vision toward 2045, the Prime Minister requested ministries, agencies and local authorities to continue thoroughly carrying out the Party and State’s policies on ethnic affairs, enhancing the effectiveness of State management and strengthening oversight of policy implementation.

Security preparations reviewed for APEC 2027 in Phu Quoc

Security preparations reviewed for APEC 2027 in Phu Quoc

The team examined the APEC 2027 Convention Centre, where main conference activities are scheduled; Sun Serenia Hospital, designated to provide healthcare and emergency medical services for delegates; provincial road DT.975, which connects Phu Quoc International Airport to the convention centre; and the area surrounding Phu Quoc International Airport.

Hanoi accelerates seven Red River bridge projects, many exceed 70% completion

Hanoi accelerates seven Red River bridge projects, many exceed 70% completion

According to the municipal Transport Construction Investment Project Management Board, the city is simultaneously implementing seven projects, namely Tu Lien, Ngoc Hoi, Tran Hung Dao, Thuong Cat, Van Phuc, Hong Ha and Me So bridges. Construction is being carried out on multiple fronts, focusing on bored piles, pile caps, piers and superstructure works.

Dien Bien battlefield legacy powers tourism revival

Dien Bien battlefield legacy powers tourism revival

Seventy-two years after the Dien Bien Phu Victory, its legacy still reverberates. The unity, self-reliance, and resilience forged in that historic triumph remain a powerful internal engine, now propelling Dien Bien toward fast and sustainable development.

Hanoi accelerates shift to green buses, targets 100% by 2030

Hanoi accelerates shift to green buses, targets 100% by 2030

In the 2027–2030 period, the city will accelerate the transition towards the complete phase-out of fossil fuel-powered buses. The share of electric and green energy-fueled buses is projected to reach 79–89% by 2029 and 100% by 2030.

36 fishermen safely rescued after boat breaks down near Truong Sa

36 fishermen safely rescued after boat breaks down near Truong Sa

At 8:00 the same day, KN475 began towing the disabled fishing boat toward Da Tay A island. The towing operation was carried out safely, and by 18:30 both the vessel and its crew had arrived at the island without incident, where repairs and additional support procedures were arranged.

Vietnamese language contest in Laos strengthens youth ties, bilateral friendship

Vietnamese language contest in Laos strengthens youth ties, bilateral friendship

Held in response to the launch of the Vietnamese Language Day among overseas Vietnamese communities, the event aimed to enhance the quality of Vietnamese language teaching and learning in Laos while contributing to the great friendship, special solidarity, comprehensive cooperation and strategic cohesion between the two countries.

Vietnamese language contest in Laos strengthens youth ties, bilateral friendship

Vietnamese language contest in Laos strengthens youth ties, bilateral friendship

Held in response to the launch of the Vietnamese Language Day among overseas Vietnamese communities, the event aimed to enhance the quality of Vietnamese language teaching and learning in Laos while contributing to the great friendship, special solidarity, comprehensive cooperation and strategic cohesion between the two countries.

Hanoi launches 10 electric bus routes from April 1

Hanoi launches 10 electric bus routes from April 1

By the end of April, the number of buses using electricity and other green energy sources in the city is expected to reach 822, including 683 electric buses and 139 compressed natural gas (CNG) buses, representing 42.1% of the total number of vehicles.