Ha Giang province’s exam cheating scandal revealed

Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc has ordered the Ministry of Public Security to open an investigation into the recent high school exam scandal in the northern mountainous province of Ha Giang.
Students discuss over the last test (Photo: VNA)

Students discuss over the last test (Photo: VNA)

So far, Vu Trong Luong, Deputy Chief of the Examination and Quality Management Division under the provincial Department of Education and Training, has been arraigned for his part in the scandal.

The Ministry of Education and Training (MoET) reported the shocking news at a press conference on July 17, while also confirming more than 300 test results of 114 students would be adjusted.

Following the abnormally high test results in the province, on July 14, an inspection team led by Mai Van Trinh, head of the Authority of Examination and Quality Management under MoET, started re-grading all students’ answer sheets.

The inspection revealed that, bar the literature test, all eight others which were taken as multiple-choice test showed signs of cheating.  

A total of 102 maths test results were adjusted, as were 85 in physics, 56 in chemistry, 52 in English, eight in biology, eight in history and three in geography and 52 in English.

Several students ended up with results more than 20 marks higher than they should have received. Some even ended up 29.95 marks better off.

Nguyen Cao Khuong from the Ministry of Public Security said Luong was mainly responsible for scanning answer sheets into a computer then sending the database of results to the MoET.

He then took advantage of his position to download the database of tests to his personal computer.

According to the inspection team, from 12pm to 2.38pm on June 27, Luong was in charge of transferring two boxes of multiple choice answer sheets and a computer to the provincial Department of Education and Training. In only two hours, he broke the seal, pulled answer sheets out and altered answers.

Till now, no other individual has been found to be Luong’s accomplice. However, it seems impossible he could have altered all the answer sheets in the period as it took the inspection team of 10 people eight hours to do the same thing. “We are conducting further investigations,” said Khuong.

He added that the database of the 2017 national high school examination results was still on Luong’s computer, which he voluntarily handed to law enforcement.

Tran Duc Quy, Vice Chairman of the provincial Ha Giang People’s Committee, said they were unable to ensure the examination’s security.

“There are things we cannot control despite our efforts to tighten management. Our limited capacity created loopholes for the fraud to happen,” he said.

“However, we tried to re-grade and announce the real test results for examinees. Ha Giang province’s education sector, however, has learnt a salutary lesson,” he added.

Vu Van Su, Director of the provincial Department of Education and Training, said that they would take responsibility for the incident.

“We worked all night to reach the final conclusion and reveal the real result in the effort to regain the belief of Ha Giang’s people,” he said.

The national high school examination has been held for four years. The result is used to determine if a student graduates from high school and gets into their dream university or not.

Since 2017, the multi-choice form has been applied to all tests except for literature. In 2018, MoET tightened the exam’s security by stamping bags of answer sheets with signatures of supervisors and universities’ representatives.

“What happened in Ha Giang province was terrible but it does not mean we need to change the examination which is approved of by a lot of people. In the years to come, the ministry will come up with solutions to improve it,” said Trinh.

The last examination was taken by 5,400 Ha Giang students. In the top 11 students nationwide with highest scores, the province contributed three. Regarding the physics test, 65 students scored nine or higher, accounting for 67 percent. The abnormal result triggered social uproar.

VNA

Other News

Vietnam steps up implementation of ethnic affairs strategy through 2030

Vietnam steps up implementation of ethnic affairs strategy through 2030

To accelerate the implementation of the the Ethnic Affairs Strategy by 2030, with a vision toward 2045, the Prime Minister requested ministries, agencies and local authorities to continue thoroughly carrying out the Party and State’s policies on ethnic affairs, enhancing the effectiveness of State management and strengthening oversight of policy implementation.

Security preparations reviewed for APEC 2027 in Phu Quoc

Security preparations reviewed for APEC 2027 in Phu Quoc

The team examined the APEC 2027 Convention Centre, where main conference activities are scheduled; Sun Serenia Hospital, designated to provide healthcare and emergency medical services for delegates; provincial road DT.975, which connects Phu Quoc International Airport to the convention centre; and the area surrounding Phu Quoc International Airport.

Hanoi accelerates seven Red River bridge projects, many exceed 70% completion

Hanoi accelerates seven Red River bridge projects, many exceed 70% completion

According to the municipal Transport Construction Investment Project Management Board, the city is simultaneously implementing seven projects, namely Tu Lien, Ngoc Hoi, Tran Hung Dao, Thuong Cat, Van Phuc, Hong Ha and Me So bridges. Construction is being carried out on multiple fronts, focusing on bored piles, pile caps, piers and superstructure works.

Dien Bien battlefield legacy powers tourism revival

Dien Bien battlefield legacy powers tourism revival

Seventy-two years after the Dien Bien Phu Victory, its legacy still reverberates. The unity, self-reliance, and resilience forged in that historic triumph remain a powerful internal engine, now propelling Dien Bien toward fast and sustainable development.

Hanoi accelerates shift to green buses, targets 100% by 2030

Hanoi accelerates shift to green buses, targets 100% by 2030

In the 2027–2030 period, the city will accelerate the transition towards the complete phase-out of fossil fuel-powered buses. The share of electric and green energy-fueled buses is projected to reach 79–89% by 2029 and 100% by 2030.

36 fishermen safely rescued after boat breaks down near Truong Sa

36 fishermen safely rescued after boat breaks down near Truong Sa

At 8:00 the same day, KN475 began towing the disabled fishing boat toward Da Tay A island. The towing operation was carried out safely, and by 18:30 both the vessel and its crew had arrived at the island without incident, where repairs and additional support procedures were arranged.

Vietnamese language contest in Laos strengthens youth ties, bilateral friendship

Vietnamese language contest in Laos strengthens youth ties, bilateral friendship

Held in response to the launch of the Vietnamese Language Day among overseas Vietnamese communities, the event aimed to enhance the quality of Vietnamese language teaching and learning in Laos while contributing to the great friendship, special solidarity, comprehensive cooperation and strategic cohesion between the two countries.

Vietnamese language contest in Laos strengthens youth ties, bilateral friendship

Vietnamese language contest in Laos strengthens youth ties, bilateral friendship

Held in response to the launch of the Vietnamese Language Day among overseas Vietnamese communities, the event aimed to enhance the quality of Vietnamese language teaching and learning in Laos while contributing to the great friendship, special solidarity, comprehensive cooperation and strategic cohesion between the two countries.

Hanoi launches 10 electric bus routes from April 1

Hanoi launches 10 electric bus routes from April 1

By the end of April, the number of buses using electricity and other green energy sources in the city is expected to reach 822, including 683 electric buses and 139 compressed natural gas (CNG) buses, representing 42.1% of the total number of vehicles.