Vietnam confirms eighth case of nCoV infection

Hanoi (VNA) – Vietnam confirmed the eighth case of infection by the new coronavirus from China’s Wuhan city, known as 2019-nCoV, on February 3, according to the Ministry of Health.

The new patient is a female worker from the northern province of Vinh Phuc, who returned to Vietnam from Wuhan last month on a Southern China flight, the same flight taken by three other Vietnamese previously tested positive to the deadly virus.

The other cases consist of two Chinese nationals (a man and his son, with one already recovering), a Vietnamese hotel receptionist having contact with the Chinese father and son, and a US citizen transiting Wuhan on his flight to Vietnam.

Temperature screening is conducted at an office building over fears of the nCoV outbreak. (Photo: VNA)
Temperature screening is conducted at an office building over fears of the nCoV outbreak. (Photo: VNA)

At least 20 cities and provinces nationwide have decided to temporarily close schools from February 3 in an effort to stem the spreading of the virus.

The move was made following Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc’s instruction to give students a temporary break over the concern about the novel virus.

A total of 137 universities and colleges have also announced to extend the Lunar New Year holiday for one or two more weeks.

The National Super Cup – THACO 2019 has also been postponed because of the nCoV outbreak. The Vietnam Football Federation (VFF) has decided to cancel the tournament’s opening match between Hanoi FC and Ho Chi Minh City FC on February 7. It said the match would be held on February 21 or March 1 instead.

On February 2, companies in Vietnam were asked to suspend receiving Chinese workers who return from infected areas in China after the Lunar New Year holiday, following an urgent notice issued by the Minitry of Labour, Invalids and Social Affairs.

Those who have already arrived in Vietnam must be quarantined and monitored for 14 days, the notice says.

Industrial parks, processing and economic zones across the country must also halt granting new working permits to foreigners from infected areas.

As of 7:30am on February 3, the death toll from the coronavirus has climbed to 362, including 361 in China and one in the Philippines. A total of 17,387 people around the globe have been confirmed infected with the virus, including 17,205 in China, according to the Ministry of Health.

VNA

Other News

Hanoi to provide free textbooks from 2026–2027 school year

Hanoi to provide free textbooks from 2026–2027 school year

The municipal Department of Education and Training will work with the Department of Finance to guide wards, communes and educational institutions in implementing the student support policies adopted by central authorities and the municipal People’s Council.

Vietnamese students shine at AIMO 2026 international finals

Vietnamese students shine at AIMO 2026 international finals

The Vietnamese team won one Champion title, four First Runner-up awards, three Second Runner-up awards, 42 gold medals, 83 silver medals, 70 bronze medals and two consolation prizes at the 2026 International Finals of the Asia International Mathematical Olympiad Open Contest (AIMO) held in Hanoi on August 2-5.

Politburo's Resolution 57-NQ/TW powers new growth momentum

Politburo's Resolution 57-NQ/TW powers new growth momentum

NSO Director Nguyen Thi Huong said alongside foreign investment and the green economy, science – technology, innovation, the digital economy and digital transformation are the new drivers that can can pack a serious second-half punch.

Vietnam’s poverty reduction miracle: A journey for the people

Vietnam’s poverty reduction miracle: A journey for the people

From a country where more than 50% of the population lived below the poverty line in the early 1990s, Vietnam has reduced its poverty rate to just 2.95% today. This achievement reflects not only the effectiveness of socio-economic development policies, but also Vietnam’s ability to translate growth into tangible opportunities for its people, steadily realizing inclusive development and ensuring that no one is left behind.

Can Tho boosts Vietnamese language support for ethnic minority children

Can Tho boosts Vietnamese language support for ethnic minority children

Backed by more than 4.2 billion VND (161,000 USD) from the State budget, the programme aims to strengthen children's Vietnamese communication skills before they begin primary school, helping them integrate more smoothly into the classroom and improve learning outcomes from the outset.

Powering growth: Ensuring reliable energy supply to keep investment flowing

Powering growth: Ensuring reliable energy supply to keep investment flowing

Across Ha Tinh and Nghe An, maintenance teams conduct inspections day and night, using thermal cameras and drones to detect potential faults without interrupting electricity supply. Their work helps ensure stable power supply for businesses as the region accelerates development in line with the Government's economic growth targets.

One Vietnamese worker killed in Japan earthquake

One Vietnamese worker killed in Japan earthquake

The Embassy of Vietnam in Japan and its labour management board are actively implementing citizen protection measures and maintaining close contact with relevant organisations and companies employing Vietnamese workers in the affected areas to monitor the situation.

Hanoi to support low-income residents in replacing high-emission motorbikes

Hanoi to support low-income residents in replacing high-emission motorbikes

A key task is to formulate a support scheme for low-income residents to replace ageing motorcycles and mopeds that fail to meet emission standards and pose a high risk of pollution. It will also propose funding to provide free first-time emission testing for motorcycles and mopeds across the city.

UNESCO endorses vision for restoring Thang Long Imperial Citadel's central axis

UNESCO endorses vision for restoring Thang Long Imperial Citadel's central axis

The committee commended Vietnam for fulfilling the commitments it has made since the citadel was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 2010, as well as for implementing recommendations from the committee and its advisory bodies. It also praised the country's efforts to preserve the site's cultural, historical and social values, transforming the imperial citadel into a space for public engagement, cultural exchange and historical education. The committee further welcomed the long-term vision as an important basis for the proposed restoration of Kinh Thien Palace in line with the approved conservation strategy.

Border guards seize 15,200 drug pills, heroin in major trafficking bust

Border guards seize 15,200 drug pills, heroin in major trafficking bust

At about 10:15 pm on July 20, officers from the Operations Division of the Nghe An Border Guard Command and the Nam Can International Border Gate Border Guard Station, in coordination with customs officers at the Nam Can International Border Gate, caught a resident of Tan Tien hamlet, Chieu Luu commune, Nghe An province, allegedly transporting narcotics in Tien Tieu hamlet, Nam Can commune.