WHO declares end of Zika emergency but says virus remains a threat

The World Health Organization on November 20 declared that Zika no longer constitutes an international emergency, but it stressed a need for a long-term effort to address the virus, which has been linked to birth defects and neurological complications.

Officials on WHO's Emergency Committee made clear the Zika still constitutes a global public health threat. They warned the virus, which has been found in 60 countries since the outbreak was identified last year in Brazil, will continue to spread where mosquitoes that carry the virus are present.

A woman stands near a poster explaining about the Zika virus. (Photo: Reuters)
A woman stands near a poster explaining about the Zika virus. (Photo: Reuters)

Removing the international emergency designation will put Zika in a class with other diseases, such as dengue, that pose serious risks and require continued research, including efforts to develop effective vaccines.

But some public health experts worried that losing the "international emergency" label could slow research into the virus, which continues to cause infections in the United States and elsewhere.

WHO in February declared Zika a public health emergency of international concern - a designation under international law that compels countries to report outbreaks. The moved was part of an effort to determine if Zika was linked to reports in Brazil of the severe birth defect microcephaly and the neurological disorder Guillain-Barre Syndrome. Traditionally, Zika had only been thought to cause mild symptoms.

That goal has been met, said Dr David Heymann, chair of the Zika Emergency Committee and a professor of infectious disease at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, in a conference call with reporters following the committee meeting in Geneva.

Because research has now shown that Zika and microcephaly are linked, "the committee felt that what is best now is a very robust technical response to the virus, and that would require work within WHO," he said.

The UN health agency maintained recommendations including that people exposed to the Zika virus should take preventive measures for six months to avoid sexual transmission.

"It remains crucially important that pregnant women avoid traveling to areas with local transmission of Zika, because of the devastating complications that can occur in fetuses that become infected during pregnancy," the US Centers for Disease Control (CDC) said in a statement.

Some experts, expressed concern that losing the "international emergency" designation might result in less support for research into the virus.

"I think WHO's decision is unwise," said Lawrence Gostin, a global health law expert from Georgetown University.

"Although Zika's spread has waned, it still holds the potential for an explosive epidemic. If it were to reemerge in the Americas or jump to another part of the world, it would significantly threaten a new generation of children born with disabilities such as microcephaly."

Gostin said the international response to Zika has been "lethargic" and WHO's decision will give countries even less reason to invest in preparedness and research.

At the press conference, Dr. Peter Salama, executive director of WHO's Health Emergencies Programme, insisted that WHO is "not downgrading the importance of Zika."

By framing Zika as a longer program of work, Salama said "we are sending the message that Zika is here to stay and WHO's response is here to stay in a very robust manner."

Dr. Amesh Adalja, an infectious diseases expert at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, said public health emergency declarations help direct the world's attention to a disease, and the Zika emergency designation accomplished that goal.

But much work remains to be done, including the development of a vaccine, he added. The removal of the emergency declaration "doesn't change that fact."

VOV

Other News

Hanoi to provide free textbooks from 2026–2027 school year

Hanoi to provide free textbooks from 2026–2027 school year

The municipal Department of Education and Training will work with the Department of Finance to guide wards, communes and educational institutions in implementing the student support policies adopted by central authorities and the municipal People’s Council.

Vietnamese students shine at AIMO 2026 international finals

Vietnamese students shine at AIMO 2026 international finals

The Vietnamese team won one Champion title, four First Runner-up awards, three Second Runner-up awards, 42 gold medals, 83 silver medals, 70 bronze medals and two consolation prizes at the 2026 International Finals of the Asia International Mathematical Olympiad Open Contest (AIMO) held in Hanoi on August 2-5.

Politburo's Resolution 57-NQ/TW powers new growth momentum

Politburo's Resolution 57-NQ/TW powers new growth momentum

NSO Director Nguyen Thi Huong said alongside foreign investment and the green economy, science – technology, innovation, the digital economy and digital transformation are the new drivers that can can pack a serious second-half punch.

Vietnam’s poverty reduction miracle: A journey for the people

Vietnam’s poverty reduction miracle: A journey for the people

From a country where more than 50% of the population lived below the poverty line in the early 1990s, Vietnam has reduced its poverty rate to just 2.95% today. This achievement reflects not only the effectiveness of socio-economic development policies, but also Vietnam’s ability to translate growth into tangible opportunities for its people, steadily realizing inclusive development and ensuring that no one is left behind.

Can Tho boosts Vietnamese language support for ethnic minority children

Can Tho boosts Vietnamese language support for ethnic minority children

Backed by more than 4.2 billion VND (161,000 USD) from the State budget, the programme aims to strengthen children's Vietnamese communication skills before they begin primary school, helping them integrate more smoothly into the classroom and improve learning outcomes from the outset.

Powering growth: Ensuring reliable energy supply to keep investment flowing

Powering growth: Ensuring reliable energy supply to keep investment flowing

Across Ha Tinh and Nghe An, maintenance teams conduct inspections day and night, using thermal cameras and drones to detect potential faults without interrupting electricity supply. Their work helps ensure stable power supply for businesses as the region accelerates development in line with the Government's economic growth targets.

One Vietnamese worker killed in Japan earthquake

One Vietnamese worker killed in Japan earthquake

The Embassy of Vietnam in Japan and its labour management board are actively implementing citizen protection measures and maintaining close contact with relevant organisations and companies employing Vietnamese workers in the affected areas to monitor the situation.

Hanoi to support low-income residents in replacing high-emission motorbikes

Hanoi to support low-income residents in replacing high-emission motorbikes

A key task is to formulate a support scheme for low-income residents to replace ageing motorcycles and mopeds that fail to meet emission standards and pose a high risk of pollution. It will also propose funding to provide free first-time emission testing for motorcycles and mopeds across the city.

UNESCO endorses vision for restoring Thang Long Imperial Citadel's central axis

UNESCO endorses vision for restoring Thang Long Imperial Citadel's central axis

The committee commended Vietnam for fulfilling the commitments it has made since the citadel was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 2010, as well as for implementing recommendations from the committee and its advisory bodies. It also praised the country's efforts to preserve the site's cultural, historical and social values, transforming the imperial citadel into a space for public engagement, cultural exchange and historical education. The committee further welcomed the long-term vision as an important basis for the proposed restoration of Kinh Thien Palace in line with the approved conservation strategy.

Border guards seize 15,200 drug pills, heroin in major trafficking bust

Border guards seize 15,200 drug pills, heroin in major trafficking bust

At about 10:15 pm on July 20, officers from the Operations Division of the Nghe An Border Guard Command and the Nam Can International Border Gate Border Guard Station, in coordination with customs officers at the Nam Can International Border Gate, caught a resident of Tan Tien hamlet, Chieu Luu commune, Nghe An province, allegedly transporting narcotics in Tien Tieu hamlet, Nam Can commune.