Ministry confirms five more COVID-19 cases on March 29 morning

Five more persons have tested positive for the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, raising the number of COVID-19 cases in Vietnam to 179 as of 6am on March 29, said the Ministry of Health.

Five more persons have tested positive for the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, raising the number of COVID-19 cases in Vietnam to 179 as of 6am on March 29, said the Ministry of Health. 

Among the new cases, four are related to the Hanoi-based Bach Mai Hospital, comprising a 57-year-old man and three women, aged 38, 49 and 44. They work at the Truong Sinh Company, which provides services for the hospital, and contacted many people there.

Several COVID-19 cases have been found at this hospital over the last few days.

Meanwhile, the other patient is a 62-year-old man living in Ha Dong district of Hanoi. He returned from another country on Flight EK394 on March 18 and has been quarantined since then.

Soldiers fumigate Bach Mai Hospital in Hanoi on late March 28 after several COVID-19 cases had been found here (Photo: VNA)
Soldiers fumigate Bach Mai Hospital in Hanoi on late March 28 after several COVID-19 cases had been found here (Photo: VNA)

Last night, Minister and Chairman of the Government Office Mai Tien Dung has expressed hope that people and businesses will stay calm and work together with the Government in the fight against COVID-19 pandemic. 

In an interview granted to the media about the implementation of Directive No.15/CT-TTg issued by the Prime Minister on March 27, Dung said the current epidemic spread requires more drastic actions. 

He assured that while many countries report big surges in infection cases, the situation in Vietnam remains under control. 

The minister pointed out that there are now few arrivals from abroad in Vietnam due to the suspension of almost all international flights. Those allowed to enter Vietnam have all been put under concentrated quarantine. 

According to him, Vietnam took early and cautious steps in the fight. Dung stressed that if the country had failed to be vigilant, the situation could have been much worse. 

Elaborating on Directive 15’s measures including banning events and meetings of more than 20 people and gatherings of over 10 people outside offices, schools and hospitals, Minister Dung explained that the ban applies to unnecessary activities such as cultural-sports and entertainment events. 

It is not applied to such cases as working at offices or banks. However, it is recommended that agencies and organisations reduce the number of delegates at meetings to below 20, and actively switch to working online to reduce the number of employees in one certain place. 

The official also refuted rumor about lock-down of major cities such as Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, adding that the PM only ordered shutting down non-essential businesses, except those supplying food, pharmaceuticals, petrol and health check-ups and treatment services. 

The PM also requested that people refrain from travelling, especially from epidemic-hit cities and provinces to other localities, and public transport be suspended or rearranged to prevent crowds, except cargo transportation vehicles, he said. 

On the occasion, the minister called on each individual and organisation to seriously follow the Prime Minister’s Directive as well as directions by the Party and State and guidelines by ministries and agencies in the effort.


VNA

Other News

Vietnam steps up implementation of ethnic affairs strategy through 2030

Vietnam steps up implementation of ethnic affairs strategy through 2030

To accelerate the implementation of the the Ethnic Affairs Strategy by 2030, with a vision toward 2045, the Prime Minister requested ministries, agencies and local authorities to continue thoroughly carrying out the Party and State’s policies on ethnic affairs, enhancing the effectiveness of State management and strengthening oversight of policy implementation.

Security preparations reviewed for APEC 2027 in Phu Quoc

Security preparations reviewed for APEC 2027 in Phu Quoc

The team examined the APEC 2027 Convention Centre, where main conference activities are scheduled; Sun Serenia Hospital, designated to provide healthcare and emergency medical services for delegates; provincial road DT.975, which connects Phu Quoc International Airport to the convention centre; and the area surrounding Phu Quoc International Airport.

Hanoi accelerates seven Red River bridge projects, many exceed 70% completion

Hanoi accelerates seven Red River bridge projects, many exceed 70% completion

According to the municipal Transport Construction Investment Project Management Board, the city is simultaneously implementing seven projects, namely Tu Lien, Ngoc Hoi, Tran Hung Dao, Thuong Cat, Van Phuc, Hong Ha and Me So bridges. Construction is being carried out on multiple fronts, focusing on bored piles, pile caps, piers and superstructure works.

Dien Bien battlefield legacy powers tourism revival

Dien Bien battlefield legacy powers tourism revival

Seventy-two years after the Dien Bien Phu Victory, its legacy still reverberates. The unity, self-reliance, and resilience forged in that historic triumph remain a powerful internal engine, now propelling Dien Bien toward fast and sustainable development.

Hanoi accelerates shift to green buses, targets 100% by 2030

Hanoi accelerates shift to green buses, targets 100% by 2030

In the 2027–2030 period, the city will accelerate the transition towards the complete phase-out of fossil fuel-powered buses. The share of electric and green energy-fueled buses is projected to reach 79–89% by 2029 and 100% by 2030.

36 fishermen safely rescued after boat breaks down near Truong Sa

36 fishermen safely rescued after boat breaks down near Truong Sa

At 8:00 the same day, KN475 began towing the disabled fishing boat toward Da Tay A island. The towing operation was carried out safely, and by 18:30 both the vessel and its crew had arrived at the island without incident, where repairs and additional support procedures were arranged.

Vietnamese language contest in Laos strengthens youth ties, bilateral friendship

Vietnamese language contest in Laos strengthens youth ties, bilateral friendship

Held in response to the launch of the Vietnamese Language Day among overseas Vietnamese communities, the event aimed to enhance the quality of Vietnamese language teaching and learning in Laos while contributing to the great friendship, special solidarity, comprehensive cooperation and strategic cohesion between the two countries.

Vietnamese language contest in Laos strengthens youth ties, bilateral friendship

Vietnamese language contest in Laos strengthens youth ties, bilateral friendship

Held in response to the launch of the Vietnamese Language Day among overseas Vietnamese communities, the event aimed to enhance the quality of Vietnamese language teaching and learning in Laos while contributing to the great friendship, special solidarity, comprehensive cooperation and strategic cohesion between the two countries.

Hanoi launches 10 electric bus routes from April 1

Hanoi launches 10 electric bus routes from April 1

By the end of April, the number of buses using electricity and other green energy sources in the city is expected to reach 822, including 683 electric buses and 139 compressed natural gas (CNG) buses, representing 42.1% of the total number of vehicles.