FCC limits order on Charter extending broadband service

The U.S. Federal Communications Commission is reversing a requirement imposed under the Obama administration that Charter Communications Inc extend broadband service to 1 million households already served by a competitor, under an order to be made public on Monday.

A Charter Communications company service van is pictured in Pasadena, California U.S., January 26, 2017. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni

A Charter Communications company service van is pictured in Pasadena, California U.S., January 26, 2017. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni

The decision was a win for a group representing smaller cable companies that sought to overturn the "overbuild" requirement and marked the latest reversal of Obama-era requirements by the new Republican-led FCC under President Donald Trump.

As a condition of approval for its acquisition of two cable companies, Charter had agreed in May 2016 to extend high-speed internet access to 2 million customers within five years, with 1 million served by a broadband competitor.

Under the new order approved on Friday and disclosed Monday, Charter, the No. 2 U.S. cable company with 26 million residential and business customers in 41 states, must add service to 2 million additional potential subscribers in places without existing service, the FCC said.

"This is like telling two people you will buy them lunch, ordering two entrees, and then sending both to just one of your companions," FCC chairman Ajit Pai said in a statement. "It runs directly against the goal of promoting greater Internet access for all Americans."

The American Cable Association petitioned the FCC to reverse the requirement in 2016 and has met with FCC commissioners in recent weeks. The group had called the requirement under then FCC chairman Tom Wheeler "stunningly bad and inexplicable government policy."

The group warned it would have "devastating effects on the smaller broadband providers Charter will overbuild" because they would face competition from an "uneconomic, government mandated entry" that could put some companies out of business.

Gigi Sohn, a former top Wheeler aide, said the decision shows the Republican FCC is more focused on putting "incumbents first" than on competition. She cited its putting broadband privacy rules on hold and withholding federal approval of new companies to offer government subsidized telecommunication services.

The requirement, as part of Charter's acquisition of Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks, would bring "innovation and new choices for consumers, and demonstrate the viability of one broadband provider overbuilding another," Wheeler said last year.

On Monday Wheeler tweeted, "Nobody likes competition ... except consumers!"

Charter said the change "enables Charter to more fully devote our resources and attention to building out high-speed broadband to areas without it today."

Charter Chief Executive Officer Tom Rutledge met with Trump at the White House last month to tout the company's investment and hiring plans.

Charter stock closed up 0.3 percent to $328.27 in afternoon trading.

Reuters

Other News

AI offers both opportunities, challenges for Vietnam's growth

AI offers both opportunities, challenges for Vietnam's growth

Dr. Ho Duc Thang, a full-time member of the National Assembly’s Committee for Cultural and Educational, said productivity is the key to sustaining double-digit economic growth, and AI has greater potential to improve productivity than any previous technology.

Top leader unveils people-centred vision for new development model

Top leader unveils people-centred vision for new development model

Vietnam's growth model, long fueled by low-cost labour, resource extraction, contract manufacturing, expanded investment, and capital accumulation, has run out of road. The country now needs a sweeping reform agenda to shift from extensive growth to a model driven by productivity, knowledge, science and technology, innovation, and digital transformation.

First national semiconductor chip prototyping support centre makes debut

First national semiconductor chip prototyping support centre makes debut

Vietnam's semiconductor ecosystem now comprises around 60 chip design companies, some 7,000 chip design engineers and 166 universities offering semiconductor-related training programmes. Initial registrations from 12 organisations indicate demand for the prototyping of approximately 30,000 chips.

Vietnam targets at least 10 large strategic technology firms by 2030

Vietnam targets at least 10 large strategic technology firms by 2030

Deputy Prime Minister Ho Quoc Dung has signed a decision approving a plan to develop large domestic strategic technology enterprises in the 2026–2030 period, aimed at advancing digital infrastructure, digital human resources, digital data, strategic technologies and cybersecurity.

Protecting users crucial in building digital trust: Experts

Protecting users crucial in building digital trust: Experts

In Vietnam, digital transformation in the finance and banking sector is accelerating cashless payments, expanding access to financial services, improving market transparency and supporting economic growth and macroeconomic management.

Fostering skilled workforce for innovation era: experts

Fostering skilled workforce for innovation era: experts

Experts said close coordination among State management agencies, research institutes, universities, and businesses will improve training quality and serve the dual goals of quality education and practical research application.

Startup forum bridges Silicon Valley and local innovation ecosystem

Startup forum bridges Silicon Valley and local innovation ecosystem

The University of Economics Ho Chi Minh City (UEH), Saigon Asset Management (SAM), and Plug and Play Tech Centre co-hosted the “From Vietnam to Silicon Valley” forum, exploring AI innovation, venture capital, and pathways to integrate Vietnam’s startup ecosystem with Silicon Valley and global markets.